We are currently registering for 2017 Upward Flag Football and Cheerleading.
- Ages: K5 to 8th Grade
Evaluations will take place on Saturday, August 12 between 10:00 and 12:00 p.m. and Wednesday, August 16th between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Everyone must attend one flag football evaluation or cheerleading orientation.
- First practice will begin the week of August 28th, 2017 (specific date will depend on your team practice day). The first game will be Saturday, September 16th, and awards celebration is Saturday, October 28th, 2017.
- Cost: Flag Football Registration: ($90.00)/Cheerleading Registration: ($90.00)
2017 Upward Flag Football Game & Cheerleading Schedule – Coming Soon. If you have any questions, please contact Steve Morton.
If you love to yell, scream, and cheer then Upward Cheerleading is what you need! Upward cheerleading for this fall is new for BFCN and we are convinced it will enhance the level of enthusiasm generated by our Flag Football games. Practices will take place one night throughout the week and cheering will occur during the Flag Football games. GOOOOOOO Upward!!!
In Upward cheerleading, Every Child is a Winner.
This season, you will participate in a league that will redefine the word winner.
Today’s sports culture has created a “win at all cost” mentality. However in Upward, success is not based on wins or losses. Coaches are trained that success is determined by how they convey salvation, character, and self-esteem to each child. Upward defines winning as learning and/or teaching lessons in the game of life.
Be a Winning Parent!
As a parent, you play a very important role in building the self-esteem and character of your child as every child in this league. Cheerleaders look to their parents and coaches as models for sportsmanship, respect for authority, and positive attitudes. Through your positive participation in this league, you can provide a lasting effect in these children that will live well beyond the end of the season.
What you can do to ensure a meaningful experience for your child:
- Make sure your child arrives on time to practices and games.
- After each practice, ask your child about the practice devotion and Scripture that was shared.
- Look for positive actions during practices and games that you can praise your child for.
- During practices and games, support the coach by allowing him or her to give any instruction or feedback to the squad. Directions from multiple sources can cause confusion to the cheerleaders.
- Cheer for both teams and all cheerleading squads. This helps create an environment in which every child is supported.
- Support the volunteer referee with positive comments only. They are giving their time to the children of this league.
- After the game, join your child’s squad and cheer for each cheerleader as game-day stars are distributed.
- You will be contacted in the coming weeks with information about your child’s coach and practice night.
- There will be a one-hour practice each week.
- Your child’s cheer items will be distributed by the coach at one of the first practices.
- During each practice, a coach will deliver a short devotion to the cheerleaders.
- Children will have the opportunity to learn Scripture verses together, and will be rewarded for their participation.
- Every squad will cheer for one game a week. Each game lasts about one hour.
- Following each game, squads and parents gather together as each cheerleader is awarded a star. Cheer for each child as stars are distributed.
- The BLUE star represents BEST EFFORT
- The GOLD star represents MOST SPIRIT
- The GRAY star represents BEST CHEERS
- The RED star represents BEST LEADERSHIP
- The WHITE star represents CHRIST-LIKENESS
Upward Cheerleading Format
- Before every game, the referee will lead both flag football teams and cheerleading squads in prayer at mid-field.
- All cheers learned will be used to ENCOURAGE BOTH teams that are playing. No negative cheers are permitted. Squads will refrain from using such terms as beat, kill, fight, defeat, etc.
- No squad will have a specific team that it cheers for every Saturday. Cheers will encourage all players.
- All cheerleading squads will wear identical uniforms.
- Squad divisions are determined by age. In most cases, like age groups will be cheering together.
- Cheerleaders will perform on the field at the end of quarters and at halftime.
- Cheers and chants will be done on the sideline during the game.
If you have any questions about Upward Cheerleading or any of our other Upward sports programs, please contact Steve Morton at 302-366-8539 or via e-mail.